Kuhn’s Cooking Class – September 2017
Sign up for the NEW Kuhn’s Rewards Card today!
Earn points with purchases ● Redeem for discounts ● Special E-Offers ● Continuities and Clubs ● Special In-Ad Offers
Earn 1 point for every dollar spent
Reach the level you prefer and redeem points on your next shopping trip
- 350 points for $10.00 off your next order
- 800 points for $25.00 off your next order
- 1,500 points for $50.00 off your next order
September is National Rice Month!
September is National Rice Month, a time to celebrate the harvest of the small but mighty grain that has captivated Americans’ hearts and stomachs for more than 300 years. Nearly 85% of the rice consumed in the United States is grown right here on family farms across the six rice-producing states: Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Texas. So this September, honor U.S. rice farmers and their dedication to growing a top quality, nutritious, and sustainable crop.
Health Benefits of Rice!
Photo and Content Credit: http://bit.ly/1tniJke
- Great source of energy
- Blood pressure management: Rice is low in sodium so it is considered one of the best foods for those suffering from high blood pressure and hypertension
- Skin care
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Diuretic and digestive qualities
- Rich in vitamins
- Cardiovascular health
Sesame Lime Rice
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2vM6ub7
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, such as safflower
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice, season with salt and pepper, and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook just until tender, 15 to 17 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Toss rice with sesame seeds, oil, and lime zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper, and fluff gently with a fork.
Cajun Dirty Rice
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2w126nQ
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice, well rinsed and drained (3 3/4 cups cooked)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Delallo Olive Oil Virgin Regular
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped into small pieces (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (from 4-6 cloves)
- 1/2 pound chicken liver, patted dry and chopped (1 cup)
- Thinly sliced jalapenos and hot sauce, preferably Crystal, for serving
- Bring rice, 1 3/4 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender, 15 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork, and set aside to cool.
- Combine broth, Worcestershire, soy sauce, paprika, and oregano and set aside. Heat a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high. Add 1 tablespoon oil and beef; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up and brown meat all over, about 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Return skillet to high heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil, onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Sprinkle with salt. Cook, scraping brown bits from bottom of pan and stirring often so garlic doesn’t burn, until just starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Add liver and cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally until rice is heated through and browned in places, 3 minutes. Return beef to skillet and add broth mixture. Cook until liquid is completely absorbed and rice gets browned and crisp in places, stirring and scraping every 30 seconds, about 5 minutes more. Check seasoning. Serve with sliced jalapenos and hot sauce.
Zesty Spanish Rice
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2wTWAom
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Fresh parsley leaves
- Combine salsa, rice, salt, and butter in a small pot. Cook over medium-high, stirring, until liquid is reduced, about 4 minutes. Add water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork, top with parsley, and serve.
Southwest Chicken Cutlet Rice Bowl
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2catOVF
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt,
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (5- to 6-oz.) chicken cutlets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 (8.8-oz.) pkg. microwaveable long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium poblano chile, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno chile, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup fresh or frozen, thawed corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lime zest plus 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Garnishes: tortilla strips, lime wedges, salsa, cilantro
- Stir together 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon coriander, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Rub each chicken cutlet with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Rub each cutlet evenly with salt mixture. Chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Cook rice according to package directions. Cook chicken cutlets in 1 tablespoon hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high until done and golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Cook chiles and onions until tender, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle mixture with remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add corn kernels and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, and stir in rice; cook, stirring until thoroughly heated, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro, lime zest, and lime juice. Serve with cooked chicken.
Shrimp and Pesto-Rice Salad
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2x7w6Po
- 1 pound peeled, large raw shrimp, deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons loosely packed lime zest
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 (5-oz.) packages fresh baby spinach
- 4 cups warm cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°. Toss together shrimp, black pepper, 1/4 cup oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. lime zest. Spread shrimp in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and done.
- Meanwhile, process mint, next 3 ingredients, 1 (5-oz.) package spinach, and remaining 1 1/4 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. lime zest in a food processor until finely chopped. With processor running, pour remaining 1/4 cup oil through chute in a slow, steady stream, processing until combined.
- Toss remaining 1 (5-oz.) package spinach with warm rice. (Spinach will wilt slightly.) Stir pesto into rice mixture; sprinkle with almonds. Top with shrimp.
Skillet Sausage ‘n’ Rice
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/125L6gx
- 1 (16-oz.) package smoked sausage
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (3.5-oz.) bags quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Cut sausage into 1/2-inch slices. Sauté in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove sausage slices, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
- Add bell pepper, onion, and garlic to skillet, and sauté over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Add chicken broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet, and bring to a boil. Remove rice from cooking bag; add rice, sausage, salt, and pepper to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish, if desired.
Baked Rice Apple Crisp
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2x89D4B
- 2 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
- 1 can (1 lb 4oz) pre-sliced apples, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup flour
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
- Combine rice, apple, lemon juice, ½ cup brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in greased shallow baking dish.
- Mix flour and remaining brown sugar in separate bowl. Cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly and stir in nuts.
- Sprinkle flour crumble over rice-apple mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with whipped cream or ice cream. (Optional)
Butter Pecan Surprise
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2wTLTCa
- 1 3 5/8-ounce package instant butter pecan pudding & pie filling
- 2 cups milk
- 3 Tablespoons chopped pecans, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cold cooked Riceland Plump & Tender Medium Grain Rice
- Combine pudding mix, milk, and 1 tablespoon of pecans.
- Mix well and chill until partially set.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
- Fold beaten egg whites into the pudding mixture.
- Fold the rice into the pudding mixture.
- Sprinkle the pudding with the remaining pecans and chill.
- Serve cold.
Strawberry Coconut Rice Delight
Photo and Recipe Credit: http://bit.ly/2we2tQ3
- 2 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 12-ounce can strawberry pie filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 13-ounce carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 6-ounce package coconut instant pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the rice and 1/3 of the cream cheese. Stir with a rubber spatula until well-combined. Spread mixture into the bottom of a 13×9-inch pan or baking dish. Top with the strawberry pie filling and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl combine the remaining cream cheese and powdered sugar, stirring until smooth. Fold in half of the whipped topping, mixing until well-combined. Spread mixture on top of strawberry pie filling.
- Mix together the pudding and milk and beat until thick. Spread mixture on top of the cream cheese mixture. Spread remaining whipped topping on top of pudding.
- Refrigerate dessert at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours. Top with the toasted coconut and chopped nuts before serving.
TIP: Swap out the strawberry pie filling for apple or blueberry pie filling for a new twist on this dessert!
Kuhn’s Market Locations:
- Allison Park
Address: 2412 Ferguson Road, Allison Park, PA 15101
Phone Number: 412-219-1100
2.) Banksville Road
Address: 3125 Banksville Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15216
Phone Number: 412-242-8777
Address: 661 Lincoln Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Phone Number: 412-766-4546
4.) Beulah Road
Address: 700 Beulah Road, Wilkins Township, PA 15145
Phone Number: 412-829-2555
Address: 1130 Highway Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone Number: 412-231-8808
Address: 2284 Brodhead Road, Aliquippa, PA 15001
Phone Number: 724-857-2200
Address: 745 West Ingomar Road, Ingomar, PA 15127
Phone Number: 412-366-1700
8.) McKnight Road
Address: 4801 McKnight Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Phone Number: 412-369-8781
9.) Moon Township
Address: 825 Beaver Grade Road, Coraopolis, PA 15108
Phone Number: 412-264-3225