Kuhn’s Cooking Class – August 2017
Sign up for the NEW Kuhn’s Rewards Card today!
Earn points with purchases ● Redeem for discounts ● Special E-Offers ● Continuities and Clubs ● Special In-Ad Offers
Earn 1 point for every dollar spent
Reach the level you prefer and redeem points on your next shopping trip
- 350 points for $10.00 off your next order
- 800 points for $25.00 off your next order
- 1,500 points for $50.00 off your next order
August is Back to School Month!
It’s hard to believe but Summer’s almost over and soon the kids will be back to school. And, back to soccer games, band practice, and more and their schedules seem to be more hectic than yours! Here’s some recipe ideas for every meal of the day to keep it quick, simple, healthy, and Kid-Approved!
2017 BACK TO SCHOOL TRENDS AND NEW PRODUCTS
- Magic Rainbow Sequins – on backpacks, lunchboxes, and more
- Nail Polish Highlighters
- Grab and Go Booster seats
- Ziplt Grillz Pencil Case
- Lace up Shirts
- Composition Notebooks – new designs
- Star Patterns on Clothing
- Divoga Scented Notebooks
- iPops – charms
- Emoji Nailpolish
- Patches – for jeans, backpacks and more
- Snack in the Box
- Whiffer Sniffer Backpack Clips – even comes in pepperoni and popcorn!
QUICK BREAKFASTS THAT BEAT THE BUS!
Mix 2 tablespoons ricotta with 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest. Spread on 1 piece toasted country bread, drizzle with 1 to 2 teaspoons honey and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts or pistachios. Top with another piece of toast.
Maple Toast Sticks
Cut 1 slice Texas toast into sticks. Mix 1 tablespoon each melted butter and maple syrup and 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and vanilla. Brush on the bread and toast in the oven.
Make Muffin-Pan Scones (No. 20), adding 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon and 2 tablespoons each shredded cheddar and chopped chives with the flour, and reducing the sugar to 2 tablespoons.
PARENT & KID-APPROVED SCHOOL LUNCHES!
Make-Ahead Lunch Wraps
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 16 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 pound shredded pepperjack cheese
- Combine rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat, and cool.
- Place black beans and pinto beans into a colander or strainer, and rinse. Add corn and diced tomatoes with green chilies, and toss to mix. Transfer to a large bowl, and mix in rice and cheese.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the tortillas, and roll up. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, place into a large freezer bag, and freeze. Reheat as needed in the microwave for lunch or snacks.
Fresh Veggie Bagel Sandwich
- 1 bagel, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain brown mustard
- 1 leaf romaine lettuce
- 2 (1/4 inch thick) rings green bell pepper
- 4 slices cucumber
- 2 slices tomato
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 slices red onion
- ½ cup alfalfa sprouts
Spread mustard onto the cut sides of the bagel. Layer the lettuce, green pepper, cucumber, and tomato on one half. Season the tomato with salt and pepper. Top with onion and alfalfa sprouts, then cover with the other half of the bagel.
Ham and Cheese Crescent Roll-Ups
- 1 (8ounce) can of Pillsbury refrigerated crescent dinner rools
- 8 thin slices cooked ham
- 4 thin slices cheddar cheese, cut into strips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Separate dough into 8 triangles. Place 1 piece of ham on each triangle; place 2 strips of cheese down center of ham. Fold in edges of ham to match shape of dough triangle.
- Roll up each crescent, ending at tip of triangle. Place with tips down on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 15 to 19 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.
AFTER SCHOOL SNACK TIME!
Sweet & Spicy Snack Mix
- 4 c. chow mein noodles
- 1/3 c. pepitas
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cayenne
- 1/2 c. Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. shelled roasted unsalted pistachios
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place the noodles and pepitas on the baking sheet and toss with the oil, cinnamon, and cayenne to evenly coat. Spread in a single layer and bake until lightly toasted, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add the cranberries, chocolate chips and pistachios and toss to combine.
No-Bake Granola Bar Bites
- 2 Cups Oats
- 2 Cups coconut flakes
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup ground flaxseed (found on the baking supplies isle)
- 1 Cup chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate)
- 2/3 Cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (not a deal-breaker if you don’t have some on hand)
Mix the dry ingredients together and then combine with the wet ingredients. Roll into bite-sized heavenly morsels, and store in the fridge. Better double the batch and store half in the freezer as your first batch will be gone in moments.
Peanut Butter Apple Sandwiches
Grab an apple, slice it crosswise, and then use a large pastry tip to punch a hole through the center to make an ‘apple bagel’ slice. Then just layer on peanut butter, granola, VOO, coconut, raisins, chocolate chips, etc…anything you desire! These will be really fun to make with my nephews because they can create their own.
QUICK DINNERS FOR BUSY FAMILIES
Easy Garlic Chicken
- 1 ½ pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ¼ cup butter
- 6 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 cups seasoned by dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small saucepan melt butter/margarine with garlic. Dip chicken pieces in butter/garlic sauce, letting extra drip off, then coat completely with bread crumbs.
- Place coated chicken in a lightly greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Combine any leftover butter/garlic sauce with bread crumbs and spoon mixture over chicken pieces. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 ¾ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until tender yet firm to the bite, about 10 minutes. Scoop out some of the cooking water and reserve. Drain spaghetti.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper; cook and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add spaghetti and Pecorino Romano cheese. Ladle in 1/2 cup of reserved cooking water; stir until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Add more cooking water until sauce coats spaghetti, about 1 minute more.
Easy Chorizo Street Tacos
- 1 chorizo sausage link, casing removed and meat crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste (optional)
- Mix chorizo and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce together in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat; add chorizo mixture and cook until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a plate, reserving grease in the skillet.
- Heat tortillas in the reserved grease in skillet over medium heat until warmed, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Stack 2 tortillas on top of each other for each taco. Fill with chorizo, onion, and cilantro.
Kuhn’s Market Locations:
1.) Allison Park
Address: 2412 Ferguson Road, Allison Park, PA 15101
Phone Number: 412-219- 1100
2.) Banksville Road
Address: 3125 Banksville Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15216
Phone Number: 412-242- 8777
Address: 661 Lincoln Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15202
Phone Number: 412-766- 4546
4.) Beulah Road
Address: 700 Beulah Road, Wilkins Township, PA 15145
Phone Number: 412-829- 2555
Address: 1130 Highway Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone Number: 412-231- 8808
Address: 2284 Brodhead Road, Aliquippa, PA 15001
Phone Number: 724-857- 2200
Address: 745 West Ingomar Road, Ingomar, PA 15127
Phone Number: 412-366- 1700
8.) McKnight Road
Address: 4801 McKnight Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15237
Phone Number: 412-369- 8781
9.) Moon Township
Address: 825 Beaver Grade Road, Coraopolis, PA 15108
Phone Number: 412-264- 3225