25th Annual Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure
Join WISH 99.7 for the 25th Annual Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure at Schenley Park in Oakland on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 14th. This event raises significant funds and awareness for the breast cancer movement, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.
This Race is unique in the fact that 100% of the net proceeds are allocated to the mission. 75 percent of the net income stays in our community to help fund local programs offering breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment. The remaining 25 percent of the net income supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program.
RACE INFORMATION – CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
RACE DAY SCHEDULE:
6:30 a.m. General Registration & Chip-timed Run Registration
6:30 a.m. T-Shirt/Bib Pick-Up
7:15 a.m. Warm-Up
7:30 a.m. Kids Dash
7:50 a.m. Survivors line up outside the Giant Eagle tent
8:00 a.m. Survivor Parade and Tribute
8:35 a.m. 5K Run – Competitive Run
8:45 a.m. 5K Walk and One Mile Fun Walk – Non-Competitive Run/Walk
Awards Ceremony immediately following the Race.
SLEEP IN FOR THE CURE:
Support Komen Pittsburgh and the breast cancer community from the comfort of your own bed with Sleep In for the Cure®. If you can’t make it on Race day or simply prefer to hit the snooze button instead of lacing up your running shoes, this event is for you! The first 500 Sleep In for the Cure participants will receive a One-Size-Fits-Most (OSFM) nightshirt.
- Someone is diagnosed with breast cancer every 19 seconds.
- 1 in 8 women in the U.S. is at risk of developing breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death of women in the U.S. between the ages of 40 – 59.
- Breast cancer death rates in African-American women are nearly 40% higher than in white women.
- In 2016, an estimated 246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer were diagnosed and 40,450 women and 440 men lost their lives to breast cancer in the U.S.
FOUR STEPS TO BETTER HEALTH:
- Know your risk. Learn your family history, and talk to your health care provider about your personal risk.
- Get a clinical breast exam at least every three years, beginning at age 20. Beginning at age 40, get annual clinical breast exams and mammograms. If you are at high risk, ask your physician which screening tests are right for you.
- Know what is normal for and report any breast changes to your health care provider.
- Make healthy lifestyle choices such as, maintaining a healthy weight; exercising; breast-feeding, if possible; limiting alcohol consumption; and limiting postmenopausal hormone use.
MAMMOGRAM VOUCHER PROGRAM:
This program provides mammograms and follow-up diagnostic services to uninsured and underinsured women. Early detection gives a woman her best chance of surviving breast cancer. Yearly mammograms are key to finding cancer in its earliest stages.
This program provides mammograms and follow-up diagnostic services for women and men in Central and Western Pennsylvania who qualify for:
♦ Screening Mammograms
♦ Diagnostic Mammograms
♦ Breast Sonograms
♦ Clinical Examination of the Breast
♦ Needle Aspirations and Biopsies
♦ Surgical Consultation
You may be eligible for the services listed above if you have no insurance or if you cannot meet your insurance co-pays or deductibles. Those who are symptomatic or have a close relative (mother, sister, daughter) diagnosed as having premenopausal breast cancer, may also qualify for services through this program. You must reside in Central or Western Pennsylvania.
For more information, see if you qualify or to find a screening location near you, call 1-888-687-0505.